You are just about to feel stable in your life, after long sleepless nights and spending each minute thinking of your child, watching him grow and handling random tantrums these little creatures show.... But Hey! there is no time to relax. Your child has turned two and somewhere during month of July or August UP's Nursery school admissions start and so is the real struggle for you. The process is no easy to crack, something like CAT examinations. These days we parents have become so much concerned and it is our prime responsibility to have the best available school for our child. So were our aspirations too....
We are first time parents, totally exhausted by usual sleepless nights, and juggling between our jobs and our aim to give undivided attention to our child for whatever time we get to spend with her. We stay in East Delhi and lucky enough to have a chance for looking a school in both UP and Delhi. During our journey of UP school Admissions, there were a few factors that I think we all parent should keep in mind while selecting schools. Special thanks to Anjali and SchoolAdmissionIndia to guide us through this journey at all times!
1. Age: At this tender age, even a month makes a difference. Kids make so much progress each day that if we compare kids of 2.3 age with 2.5 kids, they show remarkable difference to which we parents react, ohh my child never speaks up. Or is just not ready to enter the interaction room. Kids grow at their pace, you cannot compel them for anything. Though it is important for you to get admission in best school but the age do play a role. Now considering the teachers who are involved in this process for a very long time now. They understand not each child is same. Hence are their expectations also, and trust me, each school would want to have a mix of students, because we never know who will perform at growing age when this difference would not matter. So be patient, this is not in our hands and just have faith in your child on whatever he is able to perform.
2. PlaySchool: The concept of playschools play a huge role in building up social skills in your child. Some kids are not happy in going to school, and some adapt well. If they have a little exposure of school and are comfortable in interacting with teachers or peer group, its a plus. Similarly are the park visits each day. Ensure you take your child to park for play. They learn and grow lot better.
3. Never bribe your child or give them a pressure that we are going for an interview. Do this and do that etc etc. I never told my child about interview. Just said you are growing up, we will take you to big school. I had let my child to be her own and had no expectations set. It helped her to ease with teachers as if they were her playschool teachers.
4. Study about school:As parents it is very important you study about school you want to apply. Schools are very happy to hear good words about them and each school has a USP, like some has focus on sports, some on foreign languages etc. Better we are aware of it during interaction. It helps a lot.
5. Learn some good parenting tips and try to follow them: I am usually in habbit of reading 1 or 2 article about child behavior and parenting tips. When I started filling up the school forms I could see maximum schools asked about how you handle your child or how you encourage them. All those tips and following them helped me in filling up forms way well.
6. Take your child for a holiday somewhere in May or June: My daughter was very introvert. Unknowingly we went for a vacation with friends and during that week she interacted with multiple people. That trip was a blessing for us. We could notice immediately after the trip she was very open in communication. She still takes time to open up, but is not hesitant. Personally I feel as parents we must try this if possible.
7. Working parents: Be prepared to justify well on how you spend time with your child. Schools are looking for some good ways you suggest on spending time with your child. Small points like you have meals together or weekends together help in gaining points.
All above points are solely based on my experience with school interaction. Happy school entrance examinations!